What are your nails saying?


It's another Monday morning and I'm so pleased to be on the blog again....  Today I'll be blogging on nails.  Did you know that your nails could be sending a message to you about the state of your health.?
If you detest showing off your natural nails and would always get a tip simply to hide your nail flaws.. Or you know someone whom you've never seen their nails looking natural... Then you might want to speak to them about it. 

1. Biting of the nails
I used to bite my nails and it became really embarrassing..  I decided to consciously stop the habit and grow my nails.... The nails would grow nicely and I would be proud of myself.... But it turned out that when ever I struggled to stay awake... I would resort to Biting my nails to keep my eyes open... Sadly it never worked because I would eventually sleep off and feel bad in the morning upon seeing Hw messed up my nails were.... Now when I fell sleepy... I don't fight it anymore... I just go to bed! 
Now this is my story... What is yours?  Biting your nails could also be a sign of anxiety, depression  or nervousness..... Look out for the signs in your kids also...and if as an adult you enjoy Biting your nails...  You need to stop it... 

2. Yellowing of the nails
Familiar right? Coloration such as this could mean varying things.... First you need to check your creme.... Some contains really harsh chemicals that could result in such discoloration but asides that other factors that could spur such discoloration might include aging, acrylics, nail Polish and sometimes a fungal infection.  Medically, this may be related to Psoriasis, thyroid disease, diabetes or chronic bronchitis.  

3. Dark Discoloration 
Longitudinal nail pigmentation (melanonychia) could simply be an hyperpigmentation or could result from traumas etc but you may also want to consider subungual malignant melanoma - This is a  fatal form of skin cancer.... 
Just before you begin to fret at this bit of information, it's important to note that the word melanonychia - which refers to a darkened band under or within the nail plate is common among Africans and their descent because of the melanin pigment contained in their skin which gives them the color....  
This is not very common among Caucasians.... Thus the appearance of such Dark lines on your nails could be checked out by your doctor to check if it's benign or cancerous. You are most comfortable when you get the right information about your health.... So you could check with a dermatologist. 

4. Clubbing

This is when your nails thickens and curves around your fingertips usually as a result of low oxygen in the blood and this could be associated with AIDS, pulmonary, liver or cardiovascular diseases. 

5. Koilonychia

This condition could also be referred to as spooning.  This is what you should our for... Fingernails with raised ridges that begin to curve upwards sometimes enough to hold a drop of fluid...... This condition could result from iron deficiency or sometimes it could be as a result of a heart condition..... 

5. Leuconychia 

There's really nothing to worry about when you notice this on your nails.  I recall as a kid... My friends and I would always flap our fingers with our hands raised up whenever we saw a bird.....as we did this we would sing along "Bird birds give me leke leke fingers." LOL! When the birds are out of sight we would begin to show each other the white spots on our nail... What a myth! Hahaha! 
As kids we never realized that the games we played may have traumatized our nails... We thought the spots where gifts from the birds... Lol! These white spots which could have been caused as a result of trauma,  would grow out  with the nails and disappear. 

We can take proper care of our nails and avoid abnormalities by eating the right diet... It all balls down to this!

Also Whenever you want to get a pedicure, ensure that your nail professionals understand the importance of properly sterilizing their  tools.... 

 Foods rich in Omega 3 is highly recommended also..... Remember your ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 in your meals should be equal.. 

Develop a strong relationship with your doctor and feel free to call him up if you notice any abnormalities. 

Living Healthy.... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What do I need to know about Fura de nunu.........

Manual Handling.......Possible Cause of Backache?